Thursday, October 22, 2009

Media representation of men in families




Here is the example of men in families that I would like to present in class. I'm posting it to the blog because I might be a little late to class but want to show that I did my work. My first thoughts of the commercial were that it was really great to show men being active in their children s lives. Then upon reading for this week I found that it was a good example of how men are frequently shown as not knowing much about childrearing. Hence in the commercial he did not understand that his son was not concerned with winning however, the mom was calm and collected setting up snacks for the soccer team. It is also an interesting dynamic because he was cheering on his son to beat the other team and to win but the child was just concerned about playing, going to show that a lot of masculine ideals within sport culture are nurtured.

No comments: