Thursday, October 18, 2018

America wants to discredit masculine black men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_UuH3n9pgE

I came across this YouTube video of rapper Lord Jamar giving his thoughts about black masculinity in America. It's an interesting video because as he spoke I found myself agreeing with some of his points, but others are completely against my opinions.

He thinks America consistently wants to paint men of color in a negative light, which I do agree with much of the time. He mentions Eric Garner and Mike Brown, both victims of police brutality. I can agree that there is a huge problem there.

However, he also mentions "catcalling videos". What does that have to do with black men? Why would men be the victims in that circumstance at all? He also discusses Bill Cosby, and basically stating that he is only in jail because America wants to tear down the vision of a black man being a wholesome, strong, family-man type. I find that distressing, as it seems as though he wants us to ignore his injustices and the pain of women just because he is a "good family man."

Just thought it was something I'd share, since it seems to fit in with our recent studies of hypermasculinity and sexism in hip-hop.

No comments: