Thursday, October 25, 2018

Mad Men


So I just started watching Mad Men for the first time (I know, I'm late.) One of my hobbies is collecting old Playboys from the 1960s-70s, and it's amusing to see that in the show, the main characters are the men who come up with the type of ads that I always see in these magazines.
Nothing about these advertisements or the blatant sexism I see happening in this show surprise me. Not going to lie, it hurts a little to watch, but it's unsurprising. I got curious and started looking up different websites to see what people thought. I came across this article that I found kind of amusing:

http://flavorwire.com/514570/mad-mens-workplace-sexism-is-less-tiresome-than-dons-endless-misogyny

Author of the article Seltzer notices that men tend to say that their behavior on the show is outlandish and unrealistic, while women are saying that not only is it realistic, but the harassment is still happening. From personal experience, it absolutely still happens; just (thankfully) more frowned upon in professional settings now.


No comments: