Sunday, October 13, 2019

An Observation on Target's Beauty Displays

Today I spent an hour or so browsing around Target. My usual Target location has recently undergone a complete makeover and there are many new store displays and overlays. One of these displays stood out to me today while I was looking for deodorant. I went down an aisle to look for my usual brand but realized I had gone down the "men's" aisle. The dark colors and masculine packaging was a stark contrast to the products I usually see while in the "women's" aisle. I decided to take a closer look. The body wash bottles featured words like "Captain", "Swagger", and "Sport". The bottles were dark reds, blacks, and greys. Even though it was clear these products were being advertised for men based on their packaging and names, each bottle clearly announced itself with the word "MEN". Finally making my way into the "women's" aisle, the vibe completely changed. Bottles featured words like "Beauty" and "Pure". The packaging was pretty, floral, light, and colorful. Even the types of products were different. The "women's" section featured more pampering-like products such as bath fizzies, scrubs, and bubble bath soap. Not surprisingly, the product line by a brand called "Everyone" was featured in the "women's" section but not the "men's". Another significant difference I noticed was the price differences. Women will surely be willing to pay the price for beauty, but men may need the extra push of a bargain. The men's products clearly portrayed a sense of masculinity with their dark colors, word choices, and self-distinction as a man's product. The women's products portrayed the opposite: pure feminine delicacy. What makes soap for men or for women? What makes a scent or color feminine or masculine? Why are there different sections for men and women? Isn't soap just soap?




No comments: