Friday, December 2, 2011

How to be a fan of problematic things

I thought this was an interesting read and actually very true.  It is hard to find something that is not problematic is some way, which is why avoiding everything is not really a great option.  The main thing is to not try to justify what is problematic, but to acknowledge it and move on if still a fan of it.  This could become a good teaching moment for others when explaining why it is problematic.  I watched Disney movies all my life, but I never took any of the bad messages, but only the good ones away from the movies.  A big part of that was how my parents talked to me and my sister about the movies.  I still love Disney movies, but I have know problem acknowledging that there are some problematic messages in their movies.

http://www.socialjusticeleague.net/2011/09/how-to-be-a-fan-of-problematic-things/

No comments: