Friday, October 21, 2011

Dealbreaker: She's a Bro

Okay, there is so much to unpack in this article! It definitely reads like one of the more problematic articles in "Men Speak Out", but there are many interesting things going on at the same time. The author (a heterosexual man) is talking about girls that he dates who he deems "bros". The term "bro" or referring to something as "bro-y" is somewhat new to me in pop-culture, although I think I have a handle on it's implications. I think some of the things that would be considered "bro-y" for a male would be along the lines of polo shirts, fraternities, those cheap ray-ban sunglasses imitations with the neon sides. The author talks about girls who are "bro-y"- namely in conjunction with sororities, knowing all the words to "Don't Stop Believing", and, my personal favorite, girls who fetishize gay men because they want a "sassy" best friend (a role that the dominant culture has informed both women and gay men that is acceptable). The article brings up many interesting points, but I was wondering why the "type" of girl he is describing still falls under the category of "bro". Is this sexist? Is the entire article sexist? What do you agree with and what do you find problematic? I'd be interested to know!

No comments: