Friday, October 21, 2011

Hormone Therapy for Pre-Teen

We recently talked about different "types of lesbians" and we watched Venus Boyz so I felt this article was pretty relevant to what we have been discussing in class.

Personally, the biggest issue I see is that the long term side effects are unknown for this therapy on a child. From what I know medicine works differently in adults than it does in children. I feel like more medical research should be done to improve such therapy. However, from what I understood this is not a sex change, just a hormone blocker. So using this for a couple years is not making the decision to change his sex/gender at an early age, but instead preventing puberty so that Thomas has more time to make a proper decision.

What do you all think?

2 comments:

Joanni said...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/27/health/transgender-kids/index.html

Here's another article I found on the subject.

Heather said...

I think people don't put enough faith in children to be able to make their own decisions. Unless if you are trans, you have no idea what it feels like to NOT feel as if you belong in your own body. People worry about the repercussions on children to make such a decision, and I get that, but I also think people too often feel as kids aren't cognizant enough to make such a decision.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/jackie-transgender-kids-gender-identification-primetime-nightline-14425323