Friday, November 1, 2019

An Interview on Experiences of Gender and Sexuality

Performances of gender are often used as signifiers to individuals' sexuality. Men who display signs of femininity, such as Metrosexual men, are often assumed to be gay. Tomboy-ish women who like to watch sports and drink beer are often assumed to be lesbians. These assumptions are especially likely to be made by those with a more limited understanding of gender and sexuality.

After reading about how displays of masculinity and femininity are often misused as identifiers for sexuality, I thought of one of my good friends who is a cisgender straight male that is often misassumed to be gay due to his feminine-leaning tendencies and physical characteristics. I decided to conduct a brief interview with this friend, who I will call Joseph for the sake of anonymity, to discuss his experiences and thoughts regarding the relation of gender and sexuality.

Me: Hi, Joseph. I'm going to be asking you some questions regarding your experiences with gender and sexuality. I am familiar with your experiences being wrongly assumed to be gay and would love for you to tell me more about those experiences.

Joseph: Sure thing. Where would you like to start?

Me: We'll start with gender. Describe your gender identity to me.

Joseph: I identify as a male. I was born a male and identify as one.

Me: Okay, describe yourself in terms of physical appearances of masculinity and femininity.

Joseph: Well I'd say I mostly appear as a "normal" guy, just with some feminine features. Like my hair is really long and that could be described as feminine. I've also been told I have feminine hands and that the way I walk and stand is feminine.

Me: Now describe yourself in terms of personality aspects of masculinity and femininity.

Joseph: I guess I'm feminine in the sense that I tend to value interpersonal relationships, which isn't necessarily a masculine thing. I'm not very aggressive or dominating towards others. I'm pretty willing to talk about my emotions. I tell my guy friends that I love them and hug them. I'm not active or into sports at all. All of those things could be considered feminine. On the masculine side, well, I don't think my personality is very masculine at all. I'm pretty "soft".

Me: Alright, describe your sexual orientation.

Joseph: I'm heterosexual.

Me: What are your experiences with people incorrectly assuming your sexuality?

Joseph: Um, well my family thought I was gay growing up because of some of the things I was interested in. I liked playing with my aunt's jewelry. I also didn't have a girlfriend until around 15 so my mom assumed that meant I was gay. They never explicitly told me that's what they thought, but as I got older I could tell. My close friends never thought I was gay growing up, but people I didn't know as well from school thought I might be. Even more recently, when I've talked about my girlfriend to people at work for the first time, I've had people tell me they thought I was gay.

Me: When did you first experience this?

Joseph: My family probably started making assumptions when I was around 8-10 years old.

Me: Why do you think they made these assumptions?

Joseph: My family is pretty conservative and has limited ideas about what masculinity is or how it does or doesn't relate to sexuality. As for other people that I don't know well, I guess they made those assumptions based on the feminine features I have and display that I mentioned.

Me: To finish up, I'd like to ask what your personal thoughts are on the relation between masculinity/femininity and sexuality.

Joseph: I don't particularly think they're related. I don't think your gender, interests, hobbies, or personality determine your sexuality.

No comments: