Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Traditional Masculinity in That 70's Show


I'm sitting here watching one of my favorite shows in the world. That 70's Show. Its hilarious, honest, and sarcasm. Some of the major things I look for when I am watching a show. What is also humorous, is the fact that I never realized how traditional Red Forman is as a father in the 70s. He is a basic man - white, middle class, drinks beer and watches sports. In order for his character to thrive in the show he comes off rude, emotionless and tough, because thats how men are "supposed" to be. Eric Forman, Red's son, is constantly being burned by his father- Red tends to tear him down for being less of a man and for being weak. This goes hand - in - hand with how society thinks we should treat young boys and men that they can't have emotions or show their emotions.

No comments: