Friday, November 8, 2019

My Masculinity - Reflection of Masculinities in Queer Women

https://youtu.be/7JETves7aPI

I absolutely adore and deeply connect with this video. I originally watched this video a few days after I had had top surgery. Through poetry, three people examine the internalization of toxic masculine behavior and the intersection of masculinity by race.

A section that fully resonates with me even though my gender identity has changed was my interactions with police officers. With many transgender men and trans-masculine people who begin hormone therapy (many of whom in the public eye are white) they are excited to begin hormones overall.

With myself and many other black/brown people there is a large underlying fear when we start hormone therapy. I had this fear because I knew over time (which is now present day) I would look more like a young black man. Knowing this and accepting this consequence, this stereotype of black masculinity being seen as inherently more dangerous than white masculinity still rings true in LGBTQ+ spaces.

Please feel free to watch this video because it may give some of you insight on my past experiences as a black queer (mostly) masculine person.

No comments: