Friday, November 30, 2012

Gender Stereotypes Over History


Today I am posting yet another Cracked.com article (I promise to post about something else next time!)
This article deals with gender stereotypes through history. Throughout this class we have tried to get a sense for what masculinity is and have looked at the topic from a wide variety of angles. I think this article humorously highlights just how hard it is to define gender and how easily our schemas could go the exact opposite way. While most of its content is shocking, I think that the most shocking part for me was when I read that pink used to considered a manly color while blue used to be considered a feminine color and the roles were only recently reversed. It's interesting to see how many things we take for granted while they truly do not have to be the case.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19780_5-gender-stereotypes-that-used-to-be-exact-opposite.html

No comments: