Monday, November 26, 2012

'Manliest' Way People Hunt for Food

I am really embarrassed to say that I had completely forgotten about this blog until today when I was double checking the syllabus for the class and had a horrible moment in which I realized that I hadn't kept up with this. Its been a hard semester... but I guess partial credit is better than no credit, right?
Well today I contribute to this blog an article from one of my favorite websites: Cracked.com which outlines some of the 'manliest' ways in which people hunt for food around the world. I found it particularly interesting because despite the fact that the article is meant to showcase manliness, at one specific point (the part about castrating reindeer) they specifically talk about a woman who does the job. I found it interesting that in this case the notion of manliness transcends actual sex/gender but rather stands for things such as risky, tough, bold and other things that I suppose society has taken for granted as being paired with masculinity.

Bit of a warning if you want to click on this link, the article is about hunting animals and does include details that are graphic and uses some foul humor at times. If you are easily offended, I would recommend that you skip the actual article.
http://www.cracked.com/article_20121_the-6-manliest-ways-people-still-hunt-food.html

No comments: