Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Can a Man be Securely Masculine and a Feminist?

I love discussing topics of femininity with both my father and my uncle. My uncle is very open when it comes to discussions on feminism and what the benefits of the movement means for his wife and future daughters. My father on the other hand is a complete misogynist with six daughters. My uncle and father are always having arguments about the millennial generation and their “new world issues” as my father calls them. Last weekend, the topic of men, masculinity and feminism came up. My father was telling my uncle that any man who supports feminism is a sissy (that would be the english translation of what he actually said) and has no business in a man's world. So my question to myself, my family and my friends and coworkers was “can you be a masculine man and still support feminism?”. The responses that I receive from my “millennial friends contained “yes” answers and my older, more conservative friends and family members were not having it. They are the ones who believe that the less masculine you are, the likelihood of you being a homosexual is extremely high and homosexuality is a sin and a disease that will end the world. Yes, conversation with them can get really shitty. Anyway, it seemed that the consensus varied between generations and more liberals seemed to consider men who were okay with being labeled feminist were being more masculine than those who refused to acknowledge the movement. My answer to my question is yes. I believe that being a feminist has nothing to do with anyones masculinity. Playing the role of an ally keeps men who support feminism more informed, in my opinion, and actually builds on to ideas of what makes a man masculine. Those who are very much secure with their self as men can benefit from and support the movement without ever being bother by what will diminish them as men because their masculinity is not tied to who they ally for. I did some web searching and found an article that jumps straight to the point of why men and feminism make a great pair.


No comments: