Sunday, November 5, 2017

Men Can Be Emotional Too.


       Hey! I’m back :-) . I hope you enjoyed my last two posts and I’m back with another one on men and how they are taught from such a young age on how to cope with their emotions. You know you hear men tell their sons to “be a man”. Have you ever thought about what that actually means, what affects that can have to that little boy. I was drawn to this article because of the 1st paragraph. It started off explaining a video and a little boy was getting vaccinated and when he started crying his dad was saying “I’ll hold your hand, O.K.?” Then, as his son becomes increasingly agitated: “Don’t cry!… Aw, big boy! High five, high five! Say you’re a man: ‘I’m a man!’ ” I saw a similar video but the father acted the opposite of this father. Instead of discouraging his son from crying he encouraged his son to cry and telling him that he can cry and that it was okay. The father even almost cried himself. With that being said one of those young boys will act differently than the other. One will be more emotionally distant and the other will be more aware of their emotions. The one who wasn’t encouraged to show his emotions and cry will possibly be affected by this mentally which can cause him to be depressed because he doesn’t know how to cope with his emotions. He was always taught that he wasn’t allowed to feel that way. While on the other hand the other young boy is more aware of his emotions and if he’s in need of help he knows he can go to someone to help him get through his problem, whether that be a therapist or his parents. I always told myself I wanted to be an open parent for my children so they can be emotionally aware and less judgmental. I grew up with more understanding parents and I believe they raised my brother and I wonderfully.

Article:
Teaching Men to Be Emotionally Honest 

No comments: