Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Why must men pay more at nightclubs?

As a woman, there are certain products or services that I know will cost more. Razors for example or shampoo or conditioner specifically marketed towards women, there are a few times when I know that my gender will financially benefit me. The most noticeable is “ladies night” at most bars, nightclubs, and even restaurants I attend. Attached is an article discussing the idea behind “price discrimination” and the product provider’s understanding that they can get away with charging men more for entry to venues or drinks at nightclub because they know that men will still pay. When I go out with my male friends I am always surprised by how much more they have to  pay for drinks which I typically receive for free or half the price. In this sense, it seems like these venues are taking advantage of the male costumers. Perhaps the bars, nightclubs, and restaurants hope that if they can entice many women to pay patronage the men will follow. This business model strikes me as heteronormative and outdated, which is probably why some states have already passed laws banning this practice.


No comments: