Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Why is catcalling still a thing?



Newsflash, it’s 2017 and women still deal with being “cat-called” as they walk down the street trying to go about their daily lives. For those of you that don’t know, cat-calling involves but isn’t limited to whistling, shouting, or making comments of a sexual nature to a woman passing by. One woman decided to create an Instagram account called “dearcatcallers”.  Using this platform, she takes photos with the men that harass her and posts them on there. She will often post what the men said or did to her as well. I think that this is a clever way to speak out about this subject. However, I find it sad that men and some women feel like they have the right to harass people in this way. As a women, I have gone also received this sort of treatment. There have been times when I will cross the street or take an alternative route just to avoid it. It’s not that I think that anyone will “cross the line” and do something or touch me (I just realized that I felt like I had to justify my behavior because I didn’t want to make the guys look bad!), but it is just easier than trying to endure whatever comments or gestures that could potentially come.  

No comments: