Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Reflections on the Gender Pay Gap and Male- Dominated Industries

For decades research has shown that on average men are paid more than women over their lifetimes. Even after the passing of the United States Equal Pay Act, a substantial wage gap still exists between the two sexes. In fact, the Institute for Women's Policy Research estimates that the wage gap is likely to close by 2059. Now, I don't know about all of you, but I feel that's absolutely ridiculous and upsetting. Some of you may be wondering, "So, what is taking so long? Why haven't we made any progress here?" The issue is, the wage gap is the result of multiple factors besides differences in sex. Factors such as occupational segregation, bias against working mothers, racial bias, and direct pay discrimination contribute to this unfortunate cycle. 
I'm a Nurse. One of the many things I like about my occupation is that a nurse's earnings are reflected on his/her skill- set and specialty. In other words, some female nurses might earn more money than a male nurse, or visa-versa. In nursing, you make what you EARN. So, if one of my male colleagues had a higher income than me, I wouldn't be upset because I'd know that my male colleague earned the money he makes not because of his sex, but because he has more certifications than me or works overtime. The gender pay gap isn't as noticeable in my occupation, but that doesn't suggest that it isn't a persistent issue. What's disappointing about my career is that if a man becomes a nurse, he's often seen as a failure because he should have become a physician, and society has labeled nursing as a "female career". Society has even established a term for a male nurse: "Murse". While this term is meant to be said in a joking manner, it perpetuates a stereotype and implies that the word "Nurse" is feminine title and isn't strong, or masculine enough (all the things men are expected to be in current society). With stereotypes such as these it's no wonder that men tend to dominate certain industries, while women are more inclined to choose careers that are "soft and nurturing". Therefore, one solution that could aid in closing the gender wage gap and eliminating gender specific stereotypes begins with the simple act of encouraging women to gravitate towards male-dominated jobs and encourage men to go into female- dominated jobs. 

No comments: