Friday, November 9, 2018

Sad Boys


I went to a concert of my favorite bands last night. They’re this pop punk band from Illinois called Real Friends and are self proclaimed “Sad Boys.” I have been following them for about five years now and over the years, they have definitely lived up to their Sad Boy label.

From their early EPs to their most recent album that came out earlier this year, so many of their songs have sad lyrics and are often about feeling inadequate or alone. Their songs range from sad to completely heart-wrenching. A lot of them also touch on mental health. I’ve seen them countless times since I began listening to them, so I’m familiar with their typical crowd. It’s pretty diverse and there’s usually a pretty even mix of both men and women. But something struck me last night.

These guys very much go against the typical ideals of masculinity that say men can’t talk about their feelings or show emotion. Apart from their music, the members are also open about their mental health and have talked about their troubles with depression and addiction. I feel like it’s really important to have male artists like Real Friends, because they really break the norm of hardness and indifference that usually fill modern music. They also let guys know that there isn’t anything wrong with being in tune with their emotions. To me, this band shows and promotes the idea that masculinity can include emotions and being open about the things plaguing them.


No comments: