Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Advertisements Body Shame Men Too

Just the other day, I was flipping through different Snapchat stories on my phone. I came across an advertisement for a photo-editing app; normally these will advertise different things, such as getting rid of a blemish, whitening teeth, editing the lighting, etc. Obviously these corrections are still targeting peoples' insecurities, however I would say they are not too drastic of changes to a photo. This advertisement, on the other hand, was more off-putting. It showed a candid picture of a shirtless guy; he was not bad looking by any means. This app, though, showed editing that could give him a six-pack, change the proportions of his body, and make himself look more tan. I truly could not believe how shameless this advertisement was, I even recorded it and later showed my partner and saved it to share here. I've embedded it below, see for yourself how odd and scrutinizing it is:


No comments: