Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Women in Leadership

PRESENT TENSE

PAST TENSE



















I am officially tired of women not being treated with respect in the workplace. I came across this article on Facebook (I know I should just delete it) and I was in shock. This article was posted this month. It's an excerpt from a book by Sarah Cooper called "How to Be Successful Without Hurting Men's Feeling's." To that, I say F*CK their feelings. How long are we going to cater to men in the workplace. Men loveeee to talk about "snowflakes" and everyone being "too sensitive." However, women have to say things softly when they are in charge so they don't hurt your feelings? Absolutely not. I'm taking another class called Medical Sociology, and there is a chapter that talks about the doctor-nurse relationship. In this article it states that disagreements should not be made in front of the patient, and if it is something emergent to say it like you are asking a question. Basically act stupid so the doctor won't be embarrassed even if they are about to kill the patient. Yeah, that's gonna be a no for me. I do agree that disagreements should happen behind closed doors, but being in healthcare I know there isn't always time for that. Also in this chapter it talks about gender and how it affects the work environment. Specifically, it spoke about how male nurses are more highly respected and regarded by male doctors. No surprise there. But, I would like to make a point that for soooo long only women were nurses. Male nurses got made fun of at first (not that I condone this either). Now, all of the sudden men start nursing and now they are more respected and less condescended by doctors? I'm not having it. I think that bosses in general, especially the higher up the ladder you go, can come off as aggressive. When they are men, we are just expected to deal with it and tip toe around asking them questions. But, now that more women are in power, (even though they aren't paid the same), we are supposed to change how bosses boss? Still not having it. Women should feel complete freedom to speak to her subordinates just as any other man would.

We are all part of the problem, but we can all be part of the solution too. We need to stop assuming the doctor is the male. We need to stop assuming the manager, CEO, etc is male. As Ariana Grande says, "God is a woman." Let's start acting like it.

Here is the link to this horrific article.
https://www.good.is/articles/12-non-threatening-leadership-strategies-for-women

No comments: