Sunday, November 11, 2018

Amy Sherald

https://news.artnet.com/market/hauser-wirth-now-represents-michelle-obamas-portraitist-amy-sherald-1248311

So I attached a link to an article written by Julia Halperin about Amy Sherald, the artist behind First Lady Michelle Obama's presidential portrait. I was listening to a podcast show called side door yesterday, a podcast that does short segments on different exhibits in any and all of the Smithsonian museums, and I came across an episode that in about thirty minutes talked about the artist and the portrait. In the podcast and in the attached article it talks about how Amy Sherald worked as a waitress until she was 38, had a heart transplant at 39 for congestive heart failure, and is now in her forties selling her paintings for up to $50,000 a piece. She is a remarkable and humble artist full of grace and talent.

As I'm sitting here as a 22-year-old wondering why I don't have everything figured out yet, I keep Amy Sherald in mind. Some people don't have everything figured out by the time they're 21 and that's okay. Sometimes you don't make your first masterpiece right away, but that doesn't mean you won't make it.

No comments: