Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Challenging Masculinity


Today I typed "Masculine Female/She Male" into Google to see what would come up on my search engine. Sure enough not to my surprise the following images popped up. In America, masculinity is measured by the amount of muscles you have. This is ridiculous. I was in the gym the other day and I was the only female in the weights section. A guy asked me what I was doing there. Society has conditioned us to believe that men and women should look a certain way. Women with muscles challenge gender roles and masculinity. I find that men are intimated by females with muscles. Could this be a result of internal insecurities? Masculinity is defined through an ideology that is the opposite from femininity. Women are not allowed to act or dress like men because it challenges social norms and the very concept of masculinity.

 

No comments: