Monday, April 21, 2014

Popping Tags and Breaking Free from the Norm

I can't help but LOVE Macklemore. Not only are his songs entirely too catchy (tell me you haven't used the "cold ass honkey" line at least once), but he is breaking free of so many gender roles and definitions of masculinity it is absurd. 

Thrift Shop, for example, is a fabulous slap in the face to the constant pressure the music industry gives us to have more money than we know what to do with. It counters songs with lyrics like "All I care about is money in the city that I'm from," or "Bands will make her dance," and instead embraces the fabulosity of "balling on a budget." Sorry, I couldn't help myself with that last quoted phrase.

On top of that, his effort for equal rights among all people -- specifically the gay and lesbian community -- is heartwarming. He sings/raps about accepting something that many rappers use as an insult against one another in their lyrics. He discusses what a fear it was for him at the possibility of being gay, and the stereotypes that go along with both homosexuality and heterosexuality. And, he's making money off of it. I think it's such a refreshing change of pace, and I hope that this sets a standard for the future of music. 

No comments: