Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Real Men Wear Pink.....?

A few days ago, a friend of mine  (a 24 year old male) set out on a search to purchase a jet ski. After searching for the right price, he finally found a place selling jet skis that pleased his wallet. The only issue was that the jet ski they were to sell him...was pink. Although this was not mentioned before during the negotiating, the jet ski salesman told my friend they would give him another color for $300 more. Now, I could be wrong, but it is my opinion that this was some sort of trick to get my friend to pay more because of course...no "real" man wants to ride around in a pink jet ski. To my surprise (and I'm sure to the surprise of the salesman), my friend proudly accepted the pink jet ski. It got me thinking about how something as simple as a "feminine" color can make a difference to a man. That, somehow, a color can determine your level of masculinity. Why are colors masculine and feminine? I am proud of my friend for not caring about what others may think when he is riding that pink jet ski. But the real problem is....why should someone think anything of that?

No comments: