Sunday, November 20, 2016

Male & Female Stereotypes



Growing up, we all learn what type of person we should be based on typical gender stereotypes.  The above photo indicates the typical stereotypes that are enforced in our culture.  As a woman, a lot of these I definitely disagree with.  The stereotype of "ambitious" for men and "content" for women is absurd to me.  I am a woman but I am very ambitious.  I am very much into making my career a successful one, as well as my personal life.  I have a lot of things I want to do in my life and while I can be currently content in certain areas of my life, I am definitely an ambitious person and want more in the future.  As crazy as some of these attributes may be, these are what we truly expect males and females to be like.  We typically hear that women should be independent but only to a point.  A woman who does not rely on a partner or others is looked down upon in most cases.  We have come so far in this world and culture, why should we expect woman to be weak, passive, unintelligent, etc?  It's time that we accept strong, independent women!  

No comments: